vegan celery-pear-jicama slaw recipe. (easy! healthy! yummy!)
Raise your hand if this has happened to you: you grab the Tupperware of celery from the fridge and throw it in your bag for a quick and easy ‘between yoga class’ snack… only to discover hours later that your celery has been in the fridge too long! It’s bitter and wimpy and not at all worth munching on. <hands up!>
This seemed to happen to me almost every Saturday. The fix? Shred that stuff up! I’m a huge fan of ‘Root to Stalk Cooking,’ where the entirety of the food item is used. Nothing to waste! I’m always saving the colorless ends of the celery root when I cut up celery sticks for snacking. I usually throw them in the next batch of quinoa or soup in the crock pot (even this soup could always use more fiber), but now I’ve got a new favorite way to honor the entire vegetable. Introducing my newest recipe: vegan celery-pear- jicama slaw recipe. (easy! healthy! yummy!)
- 1 pear
- 4 or 5 celery stalks
- left over ends of celery root
- 1/2 jicama
- 1/2 C raisins
- sesame seeds (for garnish)
- 2 small clementines (juice and fruit)
- 1 tablespoon grapeseed oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- optional salt and pepper to taste
1. Peel the jicama, and shred it, the pear and celery (salad shooter or food processor recommended). Combine with raisins in a medium bowl.
2. Squeeze clementine juice into celery-pear mixture. Add slices of clementine fruit (optional).
3. Whisk dressing in a separate bowl: grapeseed oil, balsamic vinegar, and salt + pepper.
4. Pour dressing over the celery-pear mixture. Stir. Sprinkle sesame seeds on top. Chill to allow the flavors to blend.
5. Pack your snack and head out the door. You are ready to go!
It’s super delicious! Let me know what other variations you try: carrots? apple?