There’s no shortage of ‘make your own energy bar recipes’ out there, but this one is just absolutely the best and the easiest. It’s sugar free, gluten-free, peanut-free, soy-free and protein packed. The best part is the clean-up (lack thereof) because I make the whole batch of nutty protein bites in one pot, one 9×9 pan and 1 baking measuring cup. In the spring and summer, I make one batch weekly, slice it into squares and keep it in the freezer. These little bites are filling; perfect for early mornings, trail snacks or quick energy boost before teaching a yoga class.
They are packed with protein and have absolutely no artificial anything! I’ve adopted this recipe from Angela Liddon’s excellent Vegan Cookbook Oh She Glows.
- 1 C rolled oats
- 1 C rice cereal
- 1/4 C sliced almonds
- 1/4 C hemp seeds
- 1/4 C chia seeds
- 1/4 C sugar-free dried cranberries
- 1/4 C VEGA “protein and greens” original-flavor
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1/2 C almond butter
- 1 C brown rice syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Line 9×9 baking pan with parchment paper
- Measure dry ingredients and set aside
- In a saucepan combine almond butter and brown rice syrup; heat over medium heat, stirring constantly
- When liquid mixture begins to bubble, stir in vanilla
- Immediately turn off the burner and add dry ingredients to sauce pan, stirring constantly to avoid burning
- Transfer mixture to parchment-lined 9×9 pan and press firmly with spatula
- Freeze for 1 hour minimum
- Remove from freezer; lift parchment paper out of pan and set the bars on a cutting board. Use a pizza cutter to cut into small squares and keep in freezer
- Eat and enjoy… they will vanish before you know it!